Did someone say cheese? We’re back with another installment of our Disney at home cooking. Today we’re talking about our Gratin de Macaroni recipe from Les Chefs de France in Epcot’s France Pavilion. This delectably delicious dish is both comforting and simple to make. Alright, let’s open up our recipe box and get going on our Gratin de Macaroni recipe!
Gratin de Macaroni Recipe
Located in Epcot’s World Showcase is Les Chefs de France and our favorite macaroni and cheese at Walt Disney World. This elevated version of a childhood favorite is the comfort food we crave. It’s perfect as either a side dish or a main course. Here is the DVC Duo at home Gratin de Macaroni recipe!
- 1 box of elbow macaroni
- 3 cups of milk (whole or 2%)
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- About a 1/3 cup of flour
- 1 tsp of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded Gruyere cheese
- 2 to 3 tables spoons of grated parmesan cheese (fresh if possible)
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
- Cook elbow macaroni – about 1 minute less than suggested time – drain and set aside
- Heat a small saucepan and add butter
- Melt butter then slowly add the flour, stirring until it’s a warm yellow color
- Slowly add milk, while stirring
- Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg
- Cook sauce for 8 to 10 minutes, until the sauce thickens. Do not let it boil.
- Remove from heat and add cream and 3/4 of Gruyere cheese and all parmesan cheese
- Add cooked elbow macaroni to sauce
- Pour cheese and macaroni mixture into a medium baking dish
- Top with remaining Gruyere Cheese
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes
There is more than one way to get your mac ‘n cheese on! With this dish feel free to make the following substitutions or additions as you see fit.
- Light cream instead of heavy cream
- Splash of white wine to the sauce
- Bread crumbs on top for extra crunch
- Rigatoni or penne or your favorite shaped pasta
There’s only one thing left to do, and that’s dig in!
Previous Recipe: Ohana Bread Pudding