Breakfast of Disney champions! We are back with our next installment of our Disney at home recipes. Today, we’re talking Tonga Toast recipe. This infamous Disney breakfast dish is one of the many reasons Kona Cafe at Disney’s Polynesian Resort is our favorite breakfast spot. As we like to say, you can’t just have Tonga Toast once. Alright, let’s get this breakfast started, Tonga Toast recipe here we come!
Tonga Toast Recipe
Located on the second floor of Disney’s Polynesian Resort you’ll find Kona Cafe. The sweet breakfast treat is traditionally served topped with strawberry compote and maple syrup on the side. It’s the perfect pick me up before a fun-filled day in the parks. Here is the DVC Duo at home Tonga Toast recipe:
- 1 1/4 cups of chopped strawberries
- 1 tsp of lemon juice
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 3 tsp granulated sugar
Toast and Batter
- 1 loaf of unsliced sourdough bread
- 2 peeled and sliced bananas
- 4 whole eggs
- 1 1/3 cups of whole milk
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Add chopped strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla to a small sauce pan
- Over medium heat simmer the mixture until the strawberries start to breakdown and thicken (about 5 minutes)
- Remove from heat and gently mash with a fork
- Mixing together cinnamon and sugar on a plate
- Cut sourdough bread into 3 inch thick slices
- Make a slit into one side of the bread
- Slice bananas
- Stuff banana slices into the bread (about a half of banana)
- Add eggs, milk, sugar, and cinnamon into a medium bowl
- Whisk together
- Dunk toast into batter, coating all sides
- Add about a 1/4″ of vegetable oil into a medium skillet.
- Heat oil to 350 degrees or medium heat
- Add coated bread
- Cook about 2 to minutes per side
- Remove from the skillet, draining as much oil as possible
- Roll in cinnamon sugar mixure
Serve with strawberry compote and maple syrup
There’s more than one way to enjoy Tonga Toast. Here are a couple of variations we like to make.
- Replace sourdough with unsliced white bread
- Replace whole milk with cream (1 cup instead of 1 1/3 cups)
- Replace strawberries with your favorite fruit (blueberries, raspberries, etc.)
- Replace vegetable with canola oil
There is nothing left to do expect dig in!
Previous Recipe: La Cava Jalapeno Margarita
Don't Miss A Beat!
What's happening in the "world?" From Disney news and rumors to our favorite travel tips and insights, and of course food reviews! Keep your fingers on the pulse.