There’s more than one way to experience Disney’s Wilderness Lodge. Building on our review of Boulder Ridge, we’re discussing the second Disney Vacation Club Resort (DVC) to come to the resort, the Copper Creek Villas & Cabins. Opening in the summer of 2017, the Copper Creek Villas & Cabins is the fifth DVC resort in the Magic Kingdom resort area. Strap on your hiking boots, we’re blazing a trail to find the creek for our DVC Duo review of Copper Creek Villas & Cabins at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge.
West we go! Themed after the Pacific Northwest, the Wilderness Lodge brings together Native American elements and natural aspects of the national parks found in the northwest. The lodge is designed as a nod to the Faithful Inn in Yellowstone National Park. With geysers, hot springs and of course creeks spread around the property, you feel as if you’re stepping into a picturesque lodge from the movies. The chic rustic feel is carried through the resort, from the moment you step through the lobby door you’re met with rich wood in every direction you look and the themeing carries all the way through to the docks on Bay Lake.
Passholder Insights: If you have a package or groceries (via amazon) delivered to the resort, you’ll want to head to bell services in the lobby to pick your package.
With 158 guest rooms Copper Creek Villas & Cabins is the larger of the two DVC resorts at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge. The majority of rooms are located within the south wing of the main lodge with the standalone cabins located along Bay Lake. To make way for the DVC units, Disney Imagineering converted the original hotel rooms in the south wing into the DVC style rooms. Below are the room options:
- Deluxe Studio – Similar to your normal hotel room with one queen-sized bed, one double-size sleeper sofa, and a bathroom. There are two types of studios, one variation has a walk-in shower and the other with a tub/shower. Sleeps 4 people.
- 1 Bedroom Villa – Similar to 1 bedroom apartment, as these rooms have a kitchen, laundry facilities, living room and large master bedroom with a jacuzzi tub. One bathroom with a standup shower. The living room couch can convert into a pull out queen bed. Sleeps, 4 people.
- 2 Bedroom Villa – The 2 bedroom villa is made up of a deluxe studio and 1 bedroom villa. The only difference is the addition of a walk-in closet in the deluxe studio portion where the entrance would normally be located. Sleeps, 8 people.
- 3 Bedroom Villa – A single-story “house” that has the same facilities as the 1 and 2 bedroom villas with the following additions, a larger dining room, 3 total bathrooms, and total 3 bedrooms (1 king bed, 4 queen beds in each bedroom). The couch in the living room converts to a queen bed. Sleeps, 12 people.
- Cabin – A standalone building along the shores of Bay Lake that includes a kitchen, laundry facilities, living room, and larger deck with a private hot tub. The master bedroom is made up of a king bed, jacuzzi tub, and walk-in shower. The second bedroom consists of a queen bed and a pulldown twin bed. In the living room, you’ll find a queen pull out bed and a pull out sleeping chair. Sleeps, 8 people.
We’ve stayed in all the room types at various resorts, except for the cabins. For us, what makes the Copper Creek Villas & Cabins stand apart from other DVC resorts is how you’re so close to the Magic Kingdom, yet feel completely separated. The Wilderness Lodge transports to a tranquil place, where you cannot help but relax. If you have multiple families or a group sharing a 1 bedroom villa we recommend looking at Bay Lake Tower, as their 1 bedroom as two bathrooms.
Passholder Insights: If you’re looking for a studio on a higher floor, you’ll want to book a room with the walk-in shower, as 95% of rooms without a walk-in shower are located on the first floor.
Whether arriving at Copper Creek Villas & Cabins by the Disney Magical Express, car, taxi, or rideshare you’ll be dropped off at the Wilderness Lodge lobby area. You’ll be greeted by bell services for any of your luggage needs. Making your way through the lobby doors your see Whispering Canyon Cafe immediately to your left, on the opposite side of the lobby is the check-in and guest services. Additionally, you’ll find a gift shop with a limited selection of groceries and “grab and go” items just beyond the concierge desk. Making your way deeper into lobby you’ll find cozy couches and rocking chairs that are so welcoming you’ll want to curl up with your favorite book. It’s the perfect place to recharge and relax, especially during the holiday season.
Unique to the Wilderness Lodge is the creek that travels from within the lobby down to the pool area. You can find the creek straight back from the main entrance.
The Pools and Recreation
Disney’s Wilderness Lodge offers a couple of choices when it comes to pools. On the backside of the Boulder Ridge portion of the resort is the Boulder Ridge Cove Pool. A tranquil oasis tucked into the boulders encasing the resort. Walking into the zero-entry pool you feel as if you’re stepping into a swimming hole you discovered while hiking around Yellowstone National park.
Looking for a little more action? Head over to the Copper Creek Springs Pool. Fed by the lobby creek, the pool has a 67-foot water slide that is built into the rocks. You can relax by the pool or in one of the whirlpools, choose carefully as there are both hot and cold options. Nestled off to the right (when facing Bay Lake) of Copper Creek Springs is Geyser Point Bar & Grill, a great place to grab your poolside food and drinks.
Beyond the pools, Copper Creek Villas & Cabins offers up a variety of recreation activities. At Teton Boat & Bike rental you can rent both motorized boats and sailboats, as well as bikes to explore the grounds. Off the boat dock, you can also book a fishing trip where a Disney cast member will lead you on a fishing excursion around Bay Lake (fees apply).
Passholder Insights: By the Copper Creeks Springs Pool is the geyser that goes off every hour. You’ll always know what time it is when you’re by the pool!
Who’s Hungry? We Are!
Copper Creek Villas & Cabins has a wide variety of options for food, and one of the most relaxing quick-serve locations in Geyser Point Bar and Grill. With grand views of Bay Lake, Geyser Point Bar and Grill is a great place to unwind and recap your Disney day. Unlike most Disney resorts, Copper Creek Villas & Cabins has a second quick-serve location in Roaring Fork, a great place to enjoy the hearty wilderness breakfast offered.
- Whispering Canyon Cafe – Located in the main lobby is a rootn’ tootn’ good time restaurant serving up your western favorites. You may or may not want to “ask for Ketchup”. You’ve been warned. Serving up breakfast, lunch, and dinner (buffet), Whispering Canyon Cafe is a single meal credit if you’re on the Disney Dining Plan. We’ve heard the hearty breakfast is a must-try.
- Storybook Dining at Artist Point with Snow White – Located in the back left of the main lobby is a Signature Character Dining Experience with Snow White, Dopey, Grumpy, and the Evil Queen. Sit back for a royal feast theme around the Disney classic. Open for dinner and one meal credit on the Disney Dining Plan. We would recommend making an advanced dining reservation, as character dining books up quickly.
Outside of the restaurants, Boulder Ridge has one of the DVC Duo’s favorite lounges for an adult time out, Territory Lounge. Step into that cozy lodge lounge, fully equipped with bear totem, and enjoy your favorite beverage of choice!
If hiking around the resort and Walt Disney World isn’t enough for you, head over to the Sturdy Branch Health Club. The facility has all the basics for a vacation workout. If running is more your speed, stop by the front desk for a jogging trail map.
Passholder Insights: The Sturdy Branch Health Club is located on the first floor of the Boulder Ridge portion of the resort.
The Copper Creek Cabins & Villas is a peaceful resort that delivers that wilderness escape feel. It’s the perfect resort if you’re looking to be near the Magic Kingdom, with having the ability to step away to quieter resort at days end. The addition of the Copper Creek Cabins to the properly really enhances the overall look while touring the resort and from a boat. For us, we prefer to a resort a little more in the “action” where we can easily walk to a park. We would definitely recommend the Copper Creeks Villas & Cabins if you’re looking for a trip with a little time at the resort. With tons of activities and great onsite dining, it’s the perfect resort for anyone looking to spend a lot of time either the Magic Kingdom or plan for a few “resort days” in their trip.